Friday 21 February 2014

The trouble with Implanon...

The trouble seems to be the lack of consistent information!

I have been using Implanon for 5 years, this is my second implant and it's about to come out! Yay!

Ease of use was the real reason I chose it, I'm terrible at remembering to take medication of any kind and the set-and-forget option seemed like the best thing.  The side effects were outlined to me, but I didn't think much of them. I really wish now that side effects were explained with percentages, as some are much more common than others.

I have had the weight gain, the back pain, the painful periods and, most fun of all, the irregular periods or irregular length. I have had no period for 6-7 weeks and then two within two weeks. I have had 3 day periods and 8 day periods. Before using Implanon my cycle was pretty well set at 28 days, so I am wondering what it's going to be like when this thing comes out.

I have also been reading conflicting information about the lasting effects if Implanon on fertility, this was not mentioned to me AT ALL when I first started. The medical consensus seems to be that you can fall pregnant the day you have the implant removed, but that doesn't seem to be the experience of many of the women I have seen on various forums. Of course, those with troubles are most likely to be posting in the first place, so I don't think it's a truly representative sample, still their experiences are obviously valid.

I thought I had enough to worry about being a woman of 'advanced maternal age' never mind worrying that my birth control choices may have negatively impacted my fertility, I guess we shall find out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment