Monday 26 September 2016

23 Weeks


Our little mango is the size of a Barbie doll this week according to Ovia. This got me thinking about all of those issues to do with raising girls, gender stereotypes, body image and so on.

More than anything though, this week has seen a huge spike in my anxiety levels. It started with a dream last week that I delivered our girl at 23 weeks, so I guess I have that in the back of my mind. Her movements have also changed this week, which I know is normal at this early stage. She's still kicking just as much, but her quiet times have changed from morning to mid afternoon. I have probably used the doppler more this week than in the last 2 or 3 weeks combined.

I think the main reason though, and this only came out last night while I was talking to hubby about all of this, is that we are so close to the magical 24 week 'viability' goal. I know there is no guarantee after that, but it makes me feel a little better to know that at least they would try to keep her alive. But for these next few days, she's just agonizingly short of that cut off.

I am still not convinced that she's going to be staying with us. It is really hard to plan for a future with her here. I was looking for a photo on my computer the other day when I noticed that none of the videos from our 20 week scan were showing up. Knowing I had deleted them from the USB prior to the last scan, I went into a total meltdown. I was convinced that these few precious videos and photos are the only evidence we will have that our baby girl ever existed and to think that they were gone was too much. Thankfully, it was my fuzzy brain causing the error, not the computer and the files were still there. Still, it shook me how strong those feelings of loss were.

Even as I am in the process of clearing out my office to convert to a nursery, I am still looking at is as decluttering, rather than preparing baby's room. Hubby has convinced me to take the leap and buy a bassinet this week as the one we like is on sale. The only way I am going to manage that is if I buy online, there is no way I can go into a baby store just yet, let alone on my own.

Everything else seems to be going well. My progesterone is still rising, my blood glucose levels are under control and my blood pressure is stable. Here's to making it to 24 weeks!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I haven't popped in for a while, so I am so happy to read this. I skipped ahead so I could read this entry. I'll go back and read the rest now. So happy for you and your husband. Many prayers for you guys and your mango. I know this is such a scary time, but just know people are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, we're still hanging in there, one day at a time. It helps to know that there are others out there cheering our no-so-little mango on :)

      Delete
  2. You can do it little mango!! Hold on a few more weeks and odds are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realised this was a few wks ago now. Everything okay out there?

      Delete
    2. Everything is going well lovely, thank you for checking in. I actually didn't realise it was such a lone time since my last post, the days are starting to merge!!

      Delete