Sunday 19 January 2014

Who Do You Tell?

I had my mum around for an hour or so yesterday while dad and brother were playing cars outside. We were happily chatting away and then her behaviour suddenly changed.  Having already talked about my back, how it was improving etc, she suddenly asked me, "So, are you really feeling ok?" and I causally answered yes, everything was fine, and then she just kept repeating, "I'm so happy, I'm really happy, that's great, I'm so happy..." I just looked at her blankly for a moment before everything clicked.

She must have noticed the conception vitamins sitting on top of the fridge. She thinks I am pregnant. Or maybe my sister, who was here earlier in the week, saw and she blabbed to mum. Or maybe she hadn't and she was just being weird (she does that occasionally, like all mothers!).

I totally was not ready to start talking to my mum about trying to start a family. All I could say to her was something like, "I'm ok, everything is going well, but there's nothing to be THAT happy about!"

"Ever?" she asked.

"Well, maybe not never, but definitely not now."

And the conversation moved on. But it got me thinking. When is a good time to tell those close to you that you are trying? I feel like I want to wait until after the blood test results, after any follow ups, basically wait until I'm off birth control and we actually are trying. Is that strange?

I know there are some people who don't tell until they are actually pregnant, but I feel like I need that support around me, especially if things don't go so well. I don't want hubby to have to be the only one to carry that burden with me because no one else knew about it.

So I'm just wondering, did you tell? Who did you tell? When did you tell them? If you didn't, are you glad of that?

I know hubby and I have to make the choices that are best for us, but I would love to know how others have approached this.


2 comments:

  1. We decided not to tell anyone until we are 12weeks along. Though would probably tell mum/dad a little bit earlier. Mostly it's fun being our exciting secret at the moment and yeah i'm a bit worried about if it takes a looongg time. Our wedding is in a few months so most ppl know we were going to try after the wedding anyway. I'm dying to tell everyone though :P I have no idea how i will wait 12wks to tell friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing =]

      We have decided that if we are lucky enough to conceive we will wait the 12 weeks too, or after the scans.

      All the very best for your upcoming wedding and good luck keeping your lovely secret =]

      Delete