Sunday 9 March 2014

Low Carb Baking

It's Sunday again!

I'm getting my fix in the kitchen this week, rather than crafting - but I have been to Spotlight today and stocked up on a whole lot of materials for my next projects!

Since starting my low carb eating plan, I have found that my weight is finally coming under control. My problem is that about 6 years ago I gained a whole lot of weight very quickly, about 20kg in 6 months. This was due to depression and a number of other factors. Once I had myself sorted out, no matter what I did I could not budge the weight. I joined Weight Watchers, I counted calories, I exercised every day (all that did was make me more hungry and harder to keep under that calorie count!) and I even had blood tests done to see if there was anything else going on.

After about 4 years of this, on my return to Australia after being in the UK for 3 years, my doctor suggested a low carb diet. I was scared about giving up all the foods I loved and often craved (bread, rice and potatoes being the worst!) but also about the effect this would have on my baking. I have since found that there are a multitude of alternatives that can be made for traditional recipes - here are a few of my latest.

Muffin in a Mug
This is a quick and easy recipe that I have been experimenting with. The basic recipe is:
1/4c almond flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2 packet sweetener
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp oil or butter, melted

You mix all the dry ingredients, add the wet and then microwave for 1 minute. I sometimes find them a little too 'eggy' so cook for another 20-30 seconds.

I usually cook these in a big soup mug to give a wide, flat muffin which I usually slice in half and toast. I have also taken out the sugar and cinnamon to make a savoury muffin which I have used as a burger bun. Today, I tried 3 different variations:

Coconut Muffin in a Mug
1/4c almond flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1 tsp natvia
1/8 c shredded coconut
1 tsp coconut essence
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp coconut oil, melted


"Sticky Date" Muffin in a Mug
1/4c almond flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1 tsp natvia
1/8 c finely chopped dates
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp oil


Choc Date Brownie in a Mug
1/4c almond flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1 tsp natvia
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8c finely chopped dates
1/8c chopped unsweetened dark choc
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp oil
(As this one has a few added extras, I cooked it in a narrow mug so I could cut it into three pieces)

I also wanted to have a go at making cheese scones. I knew I wouldn't be able to match that light fluffy texture, but thought I would be able to get quite close.

Cheese Scones
3c almond meal (I used 2 1/2c almond meal and 1/2c flax meal)
1 tbsp baking powder (this was a guess, maybe a little more next time)
1 tsp salt (might leave this out next time)
2c grated extra tasty cheese (I might add a little cooked, chopped bacon next time!)
1/4c thickened cream
2 eggs

1. Mix dry ingredients
2. Add cheese
3. Add eggs and cream
4. Mix until dough forms
5. Roll out to about 2cm thick. I cut mine into rounds, but the fastest way would be to cut dough into squares or triangles. I got 22 from the batch, will probably make them a little thicker next time.
6. Cook at 165 for about 20-25 minutes

If you are reading this and have made the conversion to low carb, what is your favourite recipe? Please share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment